Temp and fan query

MH-S1981

Hi All,

Absolutely loving my new pc but I just have a query about temps and fan usage.

I’m playing iRacing pretty much maxed out and I’m getting the following:

GPU usage 100% and max temp of 57 degrees

CPU usage between 24 and 79% and a max temp of 65 degrees

I also noticed only 2 out of 5 fans are running. 2 out of 3 at the front. The rear and top fan have never kicked in

1. Are my temps and usage ok?
2. Should my other fans be active?

Cheers

MH-S1981

Hi Martinr36.

Solved the issue. For some reason my monitor was set at 60fps so it was causing a bottleneck I think. I set it to 120fps and everything improved. My card is running at 75% and its temp is around 50-55

Last edited:

MH-S1981

The top fan did kick in when I increased the graphics settings and my temps went up. I think they aren’t kicking in all the time as they aren’t really needed.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A lot of this doesn’t make sense.

What make and model monitor are you using?

Can you post the full specs of the machine from the order page?

MH-S1981

I thought that at 100% and higher temps it would stress the card over time. The other issue was the noise - at 100% and higher temps it sounded like it was taking off.

I looked at the iRacing side panel and the G was a full red bar at all times.

Monitor is a Dell G2724D

Last edited:

MH-S1981

Case
CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Promotional Item
Get a discount code for 20% off select peripherals at Corsair.com
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Eight Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.0GHz/104MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 4.0, Wi-Fi 6)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
20GB ASUS TUF GAMING RADEON™ RX 7900 XT OC - HDMI, DP - DX® 12
Graphics Card Support Bracket
NONE (BRACKET INCLUDED AS STANDARD ON 4070 Ti / RX 7700 XT AND ABOVE)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 4700MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 4125MB/sR, 3325MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)
Processor Cooling
DeepCool AK400 Performance CPU Cooler ZERO DARK
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
3 x 120mm PCS Black Case Fan
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
ONBOARD 2.5Gbe LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I thought that at 100% and higher temps it would stress the card over time. The other issue was the noise - at 100% and higher temps it sounded like it was taking off.

I looked at the iRacing side panel and the G was a full red bar at all times.

Monitor is a Dell G2724D
GPUs should always be at 100% useage, if not it’s because there’s a bottleneck in the system. Running at 100% has no impact on lifetime, that’s how they’re supposed to run, at the moment your system is handicapped

That’s a 165hz monitor so you don’t want to cap it at 120hz

Are you sure the resolution is set correctly as well?

MH-S1981

Had the monitor set at 120hz and resolution in game at 120hz. I feel anything more isn’t noticeable. My frames range from around 75fps to 180fps sometimes on the same track (Daytona)
I’m happy with the fps and graphics but the noise is really irritating. If I limit my frames then the GPU drops to around 75% and it runs quiet as a mouse.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
and resolution in game at 120hz.
That’s not resolution, that’s refresh rate, but you don’t want to cap it as the monitor is 165Hz, at the moment you’re needlessly limiting the system

If the fans are running too loud, it’s either because temps are high which needs troubleshooting or because you need to set a custom fan curve.

But as you haven’t included the specs, we can’t really help any further.

But the answer with a pc is never to cap performance so the issue doesn’t show as that invariably leads to worse problems down the line, you need to troubleshoot the issue and correct it.
If you just ignore an issue it will invariably get worse over time

MH-S1981

Specs should be above? Sorry refresh set at 120hz and resolution at 1440p. Temps are topping at 57 for the GPU.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Specs should be above? Sorry refresh set at 120hz and resolution at 1440p. Temps are topping at 57 for the GPU.
God, sorry, I totally missed the specs. It’s a shame you didn’t go with the recommendation

So you need to uncap the Hz limit and have that set correctly and then troubleshoot from there

MH-S1981

OK, So set the display to 165Hz in windows and iRacing, change to unlimited fps and then see what happens. Is a fan curve best done in the BIOS or within AMD Adrenalin?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OK, So set the display to 165Hz in windows and iRacing, change to unlimited fps and then see what happens. Is a fan curve best done in the BIOS or within AMD Adrenalin?
Firstly you need to identify which fan is running high and why, if you’re sure it’s a GPU fan then run a stress test with furmark and monitor temps over a 10 minute stress.

You don’t want to apply a fan curve if it’s working hard to reduce temps, or the system will just overheat

But as it is, you've needless spent on the GPU, it's totally overpowered for 1440p, you'll never use it to it's capabilities. Plus you've hampered the cooling and the PSU overhead, I have no idea why, but both of those are going to have a negative impact on noise and possibly stability.